Saturday, September 18, 2010

Bourdain behind the scenes

Last week I caught the "making of" episode of Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations, an episode in which they give a behind the scenes look at how the Kerala, India episode was planned, filmed, and produced. The episode featured commentary from several of the people who help make the show what it is, as well as lots of anecdotes and flashbacks to previous episodes.

Before I move on though I should probably back up and introduce my thoughts on the show. In a phrase, I think the show is amazing and one of my favorites on TV. I have loved it ever since I began watching it a few years ago, and has probably been the single biggest influence on my interest in combining the culinary and travel worlds. Perhaps you've seen the Egypt episode from season 4 where Bourdain casually glances over towards the pyramids off in the horizon and then remarks something to the effect of "We won't be going anywhere near those while in Egypt". Of course, he says it in the dickish way that has helped make him so famous, but regardless, the sentiment really struck me. I found in his passion for food a new focus for my need to explore the world. One can only look at so many churches, ruins, and monuments before they all begin to look the same. And besides that, most of the interesting landmarks are so crowded with tourists and trinket-hawking vendors that the real crux and purpose of why you're there is almost impossible to enjoy. Looking back at some of the trips I've taken lately, and thinking about how what and/or where I intend to eat has become the main focus point in my preparation, it's not much of a stretch to say that his show has markedly defined the way I travel now.

However, watching the behind the scenes episodes, it came as a great relief to see one of the biggest issues I have with the show addressed (albeit not directly). My biggest complaint with the show, and really its more of a frustration, is that the edited, produced series that is beamed to my television makes it appear as if Bourdain merely wanders the streets of each city he visits until he comes upon a food stand, restaurant, market or other area of interest and begins to chat up the owners, partake of the best offerings, and impart some wisdom as to why this place is so remarkable. He just makes it look so damn easy.

But thankfully, this new episode has shed light upon the tireless work of the many people who make the show work behind the scenes. In reality all the scenes are scouted beforehand, the shots planned and lighting set up, and the people are often prepped on how to hold their "spontaneous" conversations on camera. I guess this is nothing earth shattering, and most people reading this are probably thinking that this is more or less common knowledge. Maybe it was just the jealous, paranoid person in me who couldn't figure why he was so much better at traveling and experiencing the world the way I wanted to than I was. Now I can rest easy knowing that he has quite a bit of help in doing so.

This segues into my other complaint, which is that he often makes it appear as if the only way to experience a real culture is to go to some impoverished neighborhood, sample some local working class fare, and chat up the locals about their lives and how they represent the real country. I don't have a problem with this on the surface, its just that Bourdain makes it seem like we're missing out because we don't have the balls to go where he goes, when in reality it's because we don't have the security, camera and accompanying posse to make it possible. This particularly struck a nerve with me in the Colombia episode, a country that I have been fortunate enough to have visited. It's a great episode, but when he is partying on the rooftop on the outskirts of Medellin or eating with the locals in the poor fishing village across from Bocagrande my thoughts just kept returning the to the idea that there's no way that I could have gone to those places with out a strong local connection, some protection, and cameras rolling all the time to keep people from trying anything. Unfortunately my strikingly good looking German complexion means it's difficult to walk around in Colombia and blend in with the locals.

It seems a bit odd that my first post about a show I love is more or less just nitpicking at things about it, but given that it's already in its 6th season I think plenty of people know why it is an amazing show and therefore it stands on its own merits. In the end I was glad to see the behind the scenes show because it satisfied my general curiosity of how they make it all come together, and confirmed in me the suspicion that there is much more work involved that the finished product lets on.

For a while I worried that if Anthony Bourdain can get paid to just wander around, eat good food in front of a camera and offer sarcastic comments and vulgar quips then why can't I. But the truth is he has a lot of help to make the show what it is(That and he has a much better on-screen personality than me). They've done a couple interesting episodes this season, a few of which I still need to catch up on, but I'm glad to see that even after 100 episodes (I just watched the 100th episode special the other night with Eric Rippert who is a perfect foil for Bourdain) the show is still going strong and offering fresh perspectives on places both new and old.

I would assume that most of the people who read this blog already watch the show, but if for some reason you haven't then you have a lot of catching up to do. So get going already!

1 comment:

  1. I was doubled over with laughter hearing about Anthony's "first time bring late"

    ReplyDelete