Thursday, October 14, 2010

Putting it on the list

This past weekend I was up in the Twin Cities area for a tournament, and while it was nice to make a trip to the land 'o lakes, and the 80 degree weather was a pleasant change from the normal mid-October Minnesota weather, I didn't actually get a chance to actually see any of the area, or even eat any good food for that matter. It's a shame, ultimate tournaments are really a terrible way to visit new areas, they just take up too much time. It did get me thinking about "The Cities" though, and how I really want to make a trip sometime soon to visit and really get to know the area. I have some family from the cities and have been there several times over the years, but never just as an adult to go and check out the neighborhoods, bars, and restaurants. Honestly, it feels almost as if I've never been there before despite having spent plenty of time there. Unfortunately with the weather getting colder I think I will delay my visit until 2011, but I will return with an open schedule and the hopes of finally getting to know the Minneapolis area that everyone seems to love so much.

And when I say everyone loves, I really mean it. Another thing I realized over the weekend as I pondered what my impressions were of this city that I can't decide if I've ever been to is that you almost never hear anything negative said about Minneapolis. Sure they complain about the weather, but really in Minnesota that just means its time for hockey and ice fishing. Everyone I know who is from there speaks proudly of the area, and I've heard many people speak of at least a wistful desire to move there. The Twin Cities have this buzz about them, like a cool alternative for the blase Chicagoan.

There are really very few cities that boast this kind of reputation, where they seem to offer a respite from the hassles and problems of America's more well known major cities while still offering plenty of cultural, entertainment and leisure activities.. I actually tried to come up with a list of the cities I thought met this criteria. American cities that seem to have a certain buzz about them, where people speak fondly of the things going on there and decry "once you're there you won't want to leave" or something to that effect. These are hardly scientific search criteria, but the best thing about compiling a list based on word of mouth and hype is that I don't have to do any real research, just kind of come up with what I think is appropriate in my head. *sips drink* OK and the list is ready.

Minneapolis, MN
Portland, OR
Austin, TX
Denver, CO

This is what I came up with, and the sad thing is I don't think I've ever really visited any of the cities on the list. Denver is similar to Minneapolis for me, I've been through the city for various reasons before but never really checked it out in a way that makes me feel like I truly understand what Denver is. The list is somewhat well balanced geographically, you have a Midwest, West Coast, Rocky Mountain, and Southern city in there. I'm struggling with an East coast equivalent right now. Pittsburgh could maybe be it, but I don't think it has the same draw that the other cities on the list do either. And yes, I don't think Austin really qualifies as Southern, but its at least from Texas. I could possibly include Nashville, a city that I really enjoyed, but that's based more on personal impressions than hype and word of mouth, which kind of defeats the purpose.

So the question is when can I get to these cities? Suffice it to say all of them are near the top of my "must visit" list, if they weren't already. Minneapolis should definitely happen soon, and I'd like to think one or two of the others could as well, but we'll see how things shake out. I'd love to come back in a year with some field research under my belt as to why people truly love these areas and have nothing bad to say about them. For now they remain on the buzz list though, and kudos for them for doing so.

Writing about places I want to go hardly makes for a compelling blog I'm sure. But with a new job, a new city and plenty of other things to worry about right now, I'm having a nice dry spell in my travel life. It's actually almost depressing to look at my travel schedule and see basically nothing. Sure, I have ideas and plans, but no plane tickets have been purchased, and no concrete schedules exist. My goal for this blog is to compile a series of posts that really reflect my thoughts, impressions, and perhaps recommendations for the places I go, and just as importantly, the food and drink that is consumed while there. I have also a new city at my fingertips, and I am continually exploring and learning more about Milwaukee. But for every post I begin to write, I realize that it's perhaps better to wait until I have a little more experience to draw on. I will say for now that I am enjoying the city, and that while perhaps it doesn't have the same hype about it as Minneapolis, it does give a nice reprieve from Chicago while still incorporating many of the same Midwestern influences.

With the ultimate season over and a new calendar year (and a full slate of vacation days) approaching, I'm already beginning to explore the possibilities for next year. A return trip to Europe could be in the works, as well as some other domestic trips and possible a venture to Puerto Rico. Unfortunately for now though I'll just have to keep dreaming about that trip to Minneapolis.

No comments:

Post a Comment