Saturday, January 17, 2015

Power to the People



“The people there are so nice” is a phrase that’s always tossed around when talking about travels. And sure, there is no objective measure of “niceness” when we talk about varying cultures and peoples of the globe. So it’s hard to truly whether any one group of people are in fact relatively nicer than another and so on. But when visiting India it’s difficult not to notice how polite and helpful everyone here is, not to mention respectful and not overzealous towards foreigners. 

I love Latin America, and I love the people there too, but one of the annoyances of traveling there is how much attention one attracts as a tourist while walking down the streets there. “Hey my friend” was a phrase I constantly heard from some random dude on the street, always wanting to either take me somewhere, sell me drugs, or just plain annoy me as I tried to pass merrily on my way. 

That’s not the case in India, where the people manage to strike a wonderful balance between not being too stand-offish and not being to overly excited to me you. By and large Indians are rather reserved in public, are happy to offer a “hello” and a wave from the street, but that’s about where it ends unless you pursue the conversation further. At the same time, they are also happy to help with questions you might have and enjoying a pleasant conversation. 

Meeting the people of India on this trip has been a rewarding experience, and in all honesty I am really amazed at how nice and friendly they are towards foreigners. One of the other striking things about being here is how safe I feel amongst the Indians, even though I clearly stick out as a foreigner. Nowhere else have I traveled where I felt I could walk down almost any street and not have to worry about running into a malicious character, or could I leave the door to my hotel unlocked without preoccupation. My traveling motto regarding protecting your personal belongings while traveling has always been “if it can get stolen, it will get stolen”, but I don’t think that applies in India. 

That’s not to say there isn’t crime here, and sure around some of the more touristy areas there are more aggressive vendors and hawkers, and with that assuredly more instances of crime. But in India I don’t think my motto really applies as much, and that’s a pleasant relief when traveling.

No comments:

Post a Comment