Saturday, January 10, 2015

The Recall



I need to break the fourth wall and interrupt my own stream of consciousness dialogue to discuss a couple things outside of my standard narrative voice. Looking back at the last several of my posts, it’s easy to sense my frustration with a lot of things around me in India, which normally isn’t the case when I travel, even in the developing world. It’s true that India has been the biggest leap in terms of culture that I’ve made thus far in my life, but it hasn’t been an issue for me ever before. Even though I don’t think a travelogue needs to always have a positive narrative (Bill Bryson is one of my literary heroes and that dude could bitch like a champ), it still didn’t seem to really have the voice that I wanted to share about India.

 The truth is that I’m not terribly pleased with the course I am taking here, for reasons that I won’t get into here, but overall there have been several points of frustration for not only me but my fellow classmates as well. I realize now how much that has affected my mode, and therefore my perceptions of India overall. I know now that I cannot be an impartial jury while here, and so I’m issuing a recall of my previous posts. Not the factual parts, for what I have said about India remains true, but in how it has struck me and how I feel about the land and the people. As I said in my previous post, I will need to return to India on my own terms, and hopefully that day will come sooner rather than later.

The blog will continue, though the narrative, scope and subject matter will probably change a bit as I complete posts for the course. I can assure you however, that India remains as wild and crazy as you could ever imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment